Required evidence for benefit and support claims

Due to the current COVID-19 Pandemic we have stopped our Benefit Drop in sessions until further notice.  You can email documents to us at or post them to us at Horsham LGSS Revenues & Benefits, PO Box 10745, Nottingham, NG6 6ED.

This page provides guidance on acceptable forms of evidence for benefit claims. 

The evidence will be required for both yourself and your partner, if applicable. 

Proof of identity

Proof of Identity

Only original documents can be used as evidence for proof of identity. Please post original documents to us at the address at the foot of this page.

  • Passport
  • Driving licence
  • Birth certificate
  • National Insurance card
  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce papers
  • EU Identity card
  • Utility bill (dated within 1 month of the date of claim)
Proof of rent

Proof of rent

For properties rented from a private landlord or housing association:

  • Current signed tenancy agreement
  • Rent Book or proof of rent payments made
  • Contact us for a landlord statement, which must be completed and signed by your landlord 
    If you work

    If you work

    We need to see one of the following:

    • 5 weekly payslips
    • 3 fortnightly payslips or
    • 2 monthly payslips

    If you cannot provide these, you can ask your employer to complete an earnings certificate

    If you are self-employed you will need to send in your most recent profit and loss accounts. Please also complete one of the following forms.

      If you receive state benefits

      If you receive state benefits

      We will need to see:

      • your award notice, showing what benefit you receive
      • how much you receive
      • dates of your entitlement
        Bank accounts and savings

        Bank accounts and savings

        We will need to see evidence of all bank/building society accounts, savings, capital and investments. 

        This can be:

        • two months’ consecutive statements – these need to be your most recent statements
        • passbooks or certificates
            Childcare costs

            Childcare Costs

            Please ask your childcare provider to complete a childcare costs form (pdf 415.07KB).

            For us to take these costs into account, you must be:

            • working at least 16 hours per week, or receiving Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay
            • using a registered childcare provider
                  National Insurance number

                    National Insurance number

                    Proof of your National Insurance number must be provided on an official document. This includes items such as a wage-slip or letter from the Department for Work and Pensions. 

                          Missing evidence

                            Missing evidence

                            If you are unable to send all the evidence needed to support your claim, please send the form to us with what you have available. Let us know you will be sending in further information later – this will stop your claim from being delayed. 

                            Normally we allow up to one month to send in everything required.