Council Tax discounts


This page lists the discounts available to council tax charges.

If you receive a discount and your circumstances change you must tell the Council Tax department within 21 days of the change. If you fail to do so you may be required to pay a penalty.


Other discounts

Members of international headquarters of defence organisations

Adults will not be counted if they are a member, or are a dependent of a member of an organisation designated by Section 1 of the International Headquarters and Defence Organisation Act 1952.

To apply please use the contact form at the bottom of the page.

Members of visiting forces

Adults will not be counted if they have a “relevant association” within the meaning of the Visiting Forces Act 1952.

To apply please use the contact form at the bottom of the page.

Non-British spouses of students

An adult spouse or dependant of a student will not be counted if:

  • their spouse or dependant is not a British citizen and can’t get paid employment due to immigration regulations
  • claiming benefits whilst in the UK. 

If you wish to apply for this discount, use the contact form as the bottom of the page.

Severely mentally impaired people

A person may receive a discount if they suffer from permanent severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning. For example Alzheimer’s Disease and similar illnesses.

They will need a certificate from their doctor or medical practitioner with knowledge of their illness. As well as this, they must also be entitled to receive one of a number of benefits, including:

  • certain invalidity pensions
  • disability allowances
  • unemployability allowance or
  • attendance allowance.

Please see the GOV.UK for further details.

Severely Mentally Impaired People– Print version