Council tax discount application: carers and care workers


Adults will not be counted if they live with and care for a person with a disability who is in receipt of:

  • An attendance allowance.
  • the highest or middle rate of the care section of a disability living allowance.
  • higher rate personal independence payments.
  • an increase in the rate of disablement pension where constant attendance is needed.
  • an increase in constant attendance allowance under war pension provisions.
  • the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of personal independence payment.
  • armed forces independence payment under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation Scheme) Order 2011

They must be providing care for an average of at least 35 hours a week. This doesn’t include caring for their partner or their child (under 18 years). 

Someone who cares for an elderly or disabled person in return for payment of up to £44 per week will not be counted. Such people will usually belong to an organisation such as Community Service Volunteers, but could also be employed by a public body or, in certain circumstances, by the person for whom they care.

Please note: The online form will ask you to attach either benefit/allowance/pension book or letters of entitlement from DWP for the person receiving care.

Carer discount online form

Carer council tax discount application
  • Person
  • Property
  • Declaration
0% Complete
1 of 3
Maximum upload size: 4.19MB

Apply by post

Please print and send to the address below.