Make a payment

This page contains information on making payments to Horsham District Council.

Please note that due to Data Protection, we cannot take your payment if you call our offices.  To pay over the phone, please use our automated service by calling 01403 215645.  This service is open 24 hours, 7 days a week.  Please ensure that you have your Council Tax account number to hand, as you will need it to use this service.

Pay By Direct Debit

Setting up a direct debit is quick and easy.  You’ll need your:

  • Council Tax/Business Rates account number
  • Bank name , branch and sort code
  • Bank account number and name(s) on the account

Set up a Direct Debit

To change your Direct Debit, fill in a new form

You can also set up your Direct Debit over the phone: 0808 164 8610


Pay Online

Make a card payment

We accept all major debit and credit cards.

Pay by Phone

Call 01403 215645 to pay by credit or debit card.

This automated service is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Pay by Home Banking

Horsham District Council’s bank details are:

  • Account number: 00000000
  • Sort Code: 62-21-52

Please ensure you quote your Council Tax account reference when making your payment.

Pay at a Post Office or PayZone facility

If you do not have a bank account, please request a payment card by calling us on 0808 164 8610.  This card can be used to pay at a Post Office or PayZone outlet.

Unable to pay

If you are struggling to pay your council tax or business rates, there are a number of things to consider that may help.

Council tax support

Council Tax Support is awarded to people on low income. It is based on the household income, capital and personal circumstances. For more information, please visit our council tax support page.

To check if you may be eligible please use our benefits calculator

Council tax discounts, exemptions

You may be eligible for one of the discounts or exemptions available on council tax. Check if you are entitled to a discount or an exemption.

Debt advice

Please see our useful contacts page for a list of local and national agencies that give free debt advice. 

What happens if I don’t pay?

If you are having problems paying your business rates then please contact us immediately.

What are the steps taken if I do not pay?

If a business rates instalment is not paid then the following steps will be taken by the council.

  1. Reminder – Reminder letter sent
  2. Final Notice issued – You may receive this notice under certain circumstances but not always. This notice stops your right to pay by instalments and requests that the full balance remaining on the account is paid within 7 days.
  3. Court Summons – If payment is not received following the Reminder and/or Final Notice then a summons will be issued and the person liable will have to appear at a designated Magistrates Court. Further cost will be incurred due to the court costs. There is no need to attend court if you accept that the Business Rates is due.
  4. Further Steps – At the court hearing the Council will ask for the Magistrates to issue a liability order. This will enable the Council to take further steps to recover outstanding Council Tax. See how the Council recovers unpaid Business Rates in the section below.
How the council recovers council tax

The council may take the following methods when recovering council tax:


The debt is paid off in a number of instalments

Enforcement agent

We may send your debt to an enforcement agent for collection. This will mean you will have to pay their fees, which can be high.

Any payment or arrangements for payment will have to be made directly with them and not the council. Once the debt is passed on, we will not ask for it to be returned unless there are exceptional circumstances. They have the power to remove your goods if they don’t get payment in full or a suitable payment arrangement.

If you have any queries about bailiff action, please then contact the enforcement agency.

Bankruptcy or winding up proceedings
The council can commence bankruptcy or winding up proceedings against you.